26 June 2009

Excellent Fresh Fruit




I haven't had time to post anything in a long time, but that doesn't mean that I haven't had time to eat some good food. I had the opportunity to visit the most excellent Novakovich Orchards in Saratoga. This place is a little slice of what Santa Clara Valley was like when I was a kid in the 70's, except that it has a website.






The main thing to get there are the amazing bing cherries. As you drive up to the house/store, you can see trees so filled with fresh bing cherries, it is hard to imagine how the trees can hold their weight. The cherries are shiny, dark, and full in a way you never see in the supermarket. And, of course, they are quite delicious.




But there are also other wonderful things to eat and see: dried fruit, seasoned nuts, jams and jellies. You might get greeted by a few roosters or a lazy golden retriever.

There are some other orchards still around the valley (I am told at least one is a municipal orchard!) I think I might try to tour what remains while I still can!

No comments: