29 October 2008

No on Prop 8

Normally the blog memes I participate in relate to food, but not today. The folks over at Mombian are running a Write to Marry blog event today. So, I thought this is the perfect opportunity to write a little about how insanely stupid Prop 8 is, how important it is to vote no, and the need to convince others to do so as well.

I have an elderly relative who wants to vote yes. To justify this, he says, "Where will it end? Will we let 3 people marry each other? 4?" Personally, this is not the slippery slope I am worried about. The slope I worry about starts with Prop 8 passing, thus opening the door for even more legislation about marriage. Soon, we could see propositions proposing more restrictions on marriage (same race, same nationality?) and other invasions into our civil rights.

Prop 8, in addition to being an affront to reason, is also a terrible precedent.

1 comment:

DanGarion said...

I don't always agree with your views, but this is one that I agree with you 100%! It's unfair to take any persons rights away when it comes to marriage.

It's appalling how the Yes on 8 side is trying to make this an issue about kids, religion, and free speech, when it's not. It's an issue about civil rights.