08 December 2008

Foods that should not have High-Fructose Corn Syrup

...but that do:

I have been away from blogging lately, so return with this post, which I have been ruminating on for awhile.

In no particular order:
  1. Diet Foods. As if packaged diet food wasn't gross enough, they are fooling people by making them think this food is healthy! 
  2. Salad Dressing. You give up on your diet foods because they really aren't looking to good, and you switch to making your own delicious food. Here you are having your healthy salad and then unbeknownst to you, you drizzle (or spray) the whole thing in High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). Ha! Joke's on you.
  3. Sliced Bread, including hot dog buns and hamburger buns. It is all over the place! It used to be nearly impossible to find sliced bread in a big supermarket without HFCS. But I was heartened to find some packaged Orowheat bread just the other day that was HFCS-free. Finally! I bought two loaves in celebration. 
  4. Worcester Sauce. The "The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce" lists molasses as the sweetening agent. I think Heinz should not be allowed to sell this under the same name, when it is clearly not "original."
  5. Pickle Relish (except for Del Monte. Thanks Del Monte!)
  6. Tartar Sauce. I assume this is a by-product of the pickle relish? I say, make your own, it is really not hard. It is mayonnaise and pickle relish, pretty much.
  7. Crackers. I am not kidding. Crackers. Saltine Crackers, to be precise. I can only assume this is for preservative purposes? I really don't want my crackers to be sweet.
  8. BBQ Sauce. Shouldn't this be molasses, honey, or something yummy like that? My meat has probably already been produced using a ton of corn for feed, does it need to get drenched in corn by me? I recommend very tasty Trader Joe's BBQ sauce for that non-HFCS experience.
  9. Horseradish Creme. Plain old prepared horseradish doesn't seem to have any in most cases, but if you get something called Horseradish Creme or Cremed Horseradish, it is almost certainly in there. Blech!
  10. Corn Syrup. Seriously, the added ingredient in what should be plain old corn syrup is actually High Fructose Corn Syrup mixed with regular corn syrup. Now Karo is marketing a HFCS-free corn syrup which mysteriously has 33% fewer calories and is advertised as Indulgence with Less Guilt! Hmmm, but now I am left to wonder about what sodium hexametaphosphate is, and wondering why I can't enjoy it with "no guilt".

No comments: